Friday, December 7, 2007

Finding the Right Doctor

I started my search for the right doctor while I was still living in Oregon. The search came up short, finding only those ‘fly by night’ tattoo removal laser centers that just oozed creepiness. Be wary of those promising results as NOTHING can be guaranteed. There are so many factors to consider when removing a tattoo. The location, size, colors, depth of ink, type of ink, your skins reaction to the laser, etc. No one can tell you up front that they can definitely remove your entire tattoo. It’s an unknown until your first or second treatment.
THAT is even scarier! I had to venture into the unknown and let a Dr start treatment with me having NO idea what would happen!
Unsettled with the doctors I spoke with on the West coast, I had decided to wait until I moved back to the East coast to continue my search. I started in Boston, calling doctors there and trying to find the right laser center. I even called Laser Treatment Center schools, promising a deep discount for their work. Trouble is, the lasers would be run by students who had NO experience. Yea, I’d say a deep discount would be in order…
I searched all around Boston and still didn’t find a doctor I resonated with.
So I went south to NYC. I found TONS of strange Tattoo Removal centers with goofy looking doctors, ads and slogans. I spoke to a few Drs and they seemed just as unprofessional and goofy as their ads!
See, when a Dr is picked, you should commit to a solid year of treatment with that same doctor! So you better like him/her and trust in her work and the facility they use. This, in my opinion is the most important part of this process. If you get a bad feeling from the center or the Dr then keep looking. You’ll find the right one and be thankful you found them.
I went to a Dr in Morristown NJ that seemed pretty highly regarded in the Laser treatment world (or so his website claimed). This doctor looked like Dr. 90210, suave and charming. That is until I asked him to see some of his previous work. I wanted to see a portfolio of what he has done, because at this point I wasn’t even hopeful my tattoo could be removed because of the darkness of the ink. He got very defensive and told me his work needed no explanation and he didn’t have to show me anything because everyone is different. I understood that but still, I wanted to see what he has done. This seems like a pretty reasonable request to me but he thought differently.
This doctor ended up telling me he wasn’t the Dr for me because I should know who he was and be familiar with his work. He was a legend, if only in his own mind. He gave me an estimate of $10,000 for the removal. I left in tears, paid the $100 consultation fee, and told him to go to hell on my way out the door.
My friend told me about a plastic surgeon they used years ago that was doing tattoo removals. I decided it was worth a try and I made an appointment to meet him.
His office staff was so pleasant and welcoming and they all seemed curious about my tattoo and they were eager to help me. When I met the Dr he was very warm and kind, soft spoken and gentle. He explained to me the process of removal and wanted to find out why I wanted it removed and get a feel for me, as an individual. He is regarded as one of the best plastic surgeons in NJ and his walls were filled with awards and plaques.
He also explained to me that they RENT the laser; therefore they have the latest technology in removal. This is something that never occurred to me! It makes sense thought. He doesn’t have to charge the high-inflated prices because he doesn’t have the equipment to pay off. The treatments would also be done at the Hospital in the next town would was even greater because you know it’s sterile and safe! Also, with all of the codes and regulations Hospitals have, this Dr HAS to be certified and competent to handle the laser.
He gave me an estimate of $500 for each ½ treatment, totaling 7-9 treatments in the first year, then taking a year long break then continuing treatments, if necessary. He explained that the body needs a year break to absorb the inks and heal itself. In that time is when the most removal happens and it’s necessary to maintain a healthy removal treatment.
I trusted him and decided to use him as my doctor. Since then, I have had 3 treatments and I’m still very happy with him and the work he has done. In addition, his staff has been wonderful and they have made the extra efforts to make sure I heal correctly and that everything is ok after the appointments.
It took me a couple years to get to this point but hearing horror stories from people who have chosen the wrong doctor; it was well worth the wait! If I had only been so careful when finding the right artist from the beginning! Oh well, that story I’ll save for another time…

No comments: